Why Choose an Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) Batteries?10 reasons why you should choose an AGM Battery
- They are totally sealed against leakage and classed as spill proof;
- They can be mounted on their side or end to suit space or environment;
- They can be mounted inside your car, 4WD, caravan, camper or motor home, truck or marine vessel;
- They do not need to be in a sealed box vented to the outside;
- Because they have low internal resistance, they can be fully recharged at a lower voltage and accept a larger current (amps);
- From a standard car, 4WD or truck alternator they wil recharge quickly in about 2-3 hours. A deep cycle wet cell battery can take 8-12 hours to achieve only 70% to 80% of its potential charge;
- They can be discharged much deeper than conventional deep cycle batteries;
- Because of their design, AGM batteries can be recharged up to 5 times faster then a regular wet cell battery. AGM batteries are compatible for alarm penels, cars, 4WD, caravan, campers, motorhomes, truck and marine applications;
- An AGM battery when left unattended will only discharge at a rate of up to 3% per month and even after 12 months sitting idle can be recharged and put back to a full charge. A normal wet cell battery discharges at a rate of up to 4% per week;
- AGM batteries were originally developed for the military. They are designed and built tough, and will take an enormous pounding. They are designed to withstand shock and vibration better than any standard battery:
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Batteries are sealed - AGM Batteries are still lead-acid batteries but are sealed instead of vented. The electrolyte is held captive in a fibrous glass mat that can't be spilled and therefore can be shipped without hazardous material restrictions.
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Batteries Charge up to 5 times Faster - their charge acceptance is greater than flooded batteries and it requires significantly less time to recharge AGM batteries. This translates into higher efficiency which means a shorter generator run time or charging times, when it is necessary to recharge quickly. They also hold up better and at a higher voltage when heavy loads are powered by them.
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Batteries have Great Performance with Excellent CCA Rating – AGM batteries are about 30% larger and heavier per nominal amp/hour but this is substantially offset by their ability to be charged more thoroughly and discharged more deeply. Their size and weight are thus comparable in terms of usable capacity for excellent deep cycle life.
Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Batteries have a Long Shelf Life – The storage life of your FirstStart AGM battery is usually between 9 to 12 months at room temperature starting from a charged condition. Always store your batteries in a dry, clean, cool environment.
Your AGM FirstStart Battery can be safely mounted in any position.
ALWAYS use a battery charger designed for charging AGM Deep Cycle Batteries. Ensure that your installation has a charging system with a program for AGMs or ask us about our 10amp and 20amp automatic chargers specifically designed for AGM Batteries.
These can be found on our website under AGM Battery Chargers.